SOCIAL SECURITY UNDER ZSSF
ZSSF has been established under Act No. 2 of 1998 as amended by Act No. 9 of 2000 and amended by the Government Notice of 2004 and eventually re-appealed and re-enacted ZSSF Act No.2 of 2005 Act No. 2 of 2005 Download the ZSSF ACT
FUNCTIONS OF ZSSF
Under section 5 of ZSSF Act No. 2 of 2005 ZSSF shall have the following functions:
• To receive all the contributions and other moneys which are required to be paid into the Fund.
• To keep and maintain register of all members and employer contributing to the fund and any other register that the Board may advice.
• To establish and maintain record for each member in respect of all payment made by way of contribution.
• To invest the money collected in any viable venture as the Board may consider appropriate.
• To operate and operate its own bank account on condition set by the Board
• To pay benefits to members or their dependants in accordance with the provisions of the Act.
• To manage and administer the contribution in accordance with the provision of this Act.
• To obtain the services of any person or institution private or public, to perform any specific act or function.
• To engage in any activity whether alone or together with other organization in Tanzania or elsewhere, to promote proper, efficient and effective
social security administration.
• To do all such acts and thing and to enter into all transaction as in the opinion of the Board may be necessary for the proper and efficient administration of the Fund.
Zanzibar Social Security Fund was established under the Zanzibar Security Fund Act No. 2 of 1998 subsequently amended by the Zanzibar Social Security Fund Act No. 9 of 2002 and re-enacted by the Act No. 2 of 2005. Prior to the enactment of the Act and establishment of the Zanzibar Social Security Fund, there was no formal social security scheme in Zanzibar. Nor was there a significant private sector/occupational pension scheme sector in Zanzibar. Before the inception of Zanzibar Social Security Fund, public service employees in Zanzibar were covered and received pension benefits under the Pensions Act No. 2 of 1990
Zanzibar Social Security Fund (ZSSF) seeks to be a leader and model social security provider in the Region.
ZSSF is dedicated to be a dynamic provider of social security benefits through the utilization of competent and motivated staff.
To replace member's income in the event of contingencies i.e old age, sickness, maternity, invalidity and death.
The core values state how Management and Staff are expected to relate to their clients, colleagues and ZSSF itself, and how they will accomplish their work in carrying out the Mission and achieving the Vision of the Fund. ZSSF believes that a Fund driven by strong values can deliver to the best and sustainable social security services. In this respect, ZSSF will undertake its operations of providing social security services to its members and the general public on the basis of the following core values symbolized by the acronym RETIREMENT:-
R Responsibility and Accountability
E Efficiency and Competency
I Integrity and Innovativeness
R Respect and Fairness
E Equal Opportunity for All
M Morality and Motivated Staff
N Noble Customer Services
SOCIAL SECURITY UNDER ZSSF